Monday, January 10, 2011

Pretty Little Liars

Pretty Little Liars was written by Sara Sheppard. Pretty Little Liars is the first of an eight book series. What I like about the book is the mystery it holds, the author kept the book unpredictable which is what I like to read, not a typical book with an already told ending. You have to keep reading to unfold the entire story and that’s what keeps you hooked. What I didn’t like was the not needed parts, it just made the book kind of boring sometimes until you got to a good part. Would I recommend this book to my peers? Yes, I would to a particular crowd of teenage girls due to the drama and the four main characters are females. Teenagers due to the language and some of the content would not be appropriate for a younger crowd.    
  • What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader?

A specific theme I would agree with is mystery, because while you think this person is the one you continue to read your mind changes and it just keeps you in suspense and this is just the first book so you have to read the whole series to put the pieces together. Pretty Little Liar keeps you guessing and confused almost, Will they ever find out what really happens? Who is in trouble? So I’m waiting to read the next book Flawless to find out even more. What Sara Sheppard is trying to get across in my opinion is to not judge a person by the looks, but by their character. Also never listen to one side of a story, there is always two sides.

  • Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?

The characters of Pretty Little Liars change from their middle school years to their high school years. They were “nobodies” before Alison took the four of them under her wing. Hanna, Aria, Spencer, and Emily were the “It” girls of Roseday Prep. The events of Alison coming up missing while they were in middle school, to a person name A who always seem to come around to communicate with the four girls when they have done something wrong. A will tell on them if they say anything about Ali’s disappearance. They become paranoid, less social because they never knew who was watching them. I could not relate to these girls at all because they have everything handed to them on a silver platter and have to meet expectations that I won’t have to worry about.  They are doing things I will never want the karma of those events.

Word Count: 466

No comments:

Post a Comment